1.25.2007

Lost Segueway

I was crawling underneath the desk to get at the front of the computer to see why it isn't working properly. Because of cable length dynamics the tower is facing the opposite direction than the generally useful and intended way. As I leaned forward and in upon the nappy carpet underneath the dark behemoth of a desk in this crampled closet to look at the back (front) of the computer, I saw a dusty post-it note clinging to the floor. It read, in all capital letters:

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF DAVID LYNCH?

The phrase was underlined, in a back and forth motion, several times. I had, what they all-too-appropriately refer to in culturally-informed dialogue as a David Lynchian moment. It wasn't quite like finding an ear in a sunny meadow, but in my life, that's about as close as I get. Then I recalled that there was a conference speaker a couple of years ago whose name is also David Lynch, yet is an expert on diaster recovery, and I don't think he has made any films. I still can't get the CD-ROM to work.

No comments: