2.01.2007

Rwanda

I added another article to the Rwandan genocide thingy, which much Butrous-Ghali expressing his displeasure at the US complacency in Rwanda. Incidentally, it has be spawning some thoughts for me about statehood, international politics, supranational organizations (and the futility thereof), NGOs, and humanism in general. Depending how my afternoon goes I might write that up.

Does anyone in the NGO humanitarian field know how well Médecins Sans Frontières stands up? I've always felt that they were a pretty solid organization, and after just transcribing a speech by Rony Brauman, one of their former presidents, about Arendt's influence on his work, I like them even more. Any other knowledge?

So in conjunction with the talk that I'm transcribing, I've been reading alot of wikipedia on the 1994 Rwandan genocide. It is really interesting, and very horrible. I think the main article is actually very good, it describes numerous different theories about why the genocide occurred, from social, historical, economic, and psychological perspectives. The event and the history leading up to it are maybe the most stark history lessons I've ever heard, pulling all kinds of issues in, including racism, nationalism, colonialism, class conditions, modern international politics, issues of "west vs. east", humanitarian campaign issues, and much more. It frankly makes me even more sick to my stomach regarding the actions of western governments (US, France, UK, Israel, the Catholic Church?) than the Iraq war.

Wikipedia articles on the subject worth reading:
Rwandan Genocide
Tutsis
Hutus
History of Rwanda
The so-called "Hamitic" race
A much more opinionated article on US complacency and the possibility that the CIA was involved in the catalyst to the genocide here.

No comments: